A long research on scholarly communication and evaluation has led to the founding of Open Scholar C.I.C., an international organisation of researchers committed to developing and promoting alternatives to today’s problematic model of academic publishing. Read about some of our ideas at the organisation’s website and the related publications, and feel free to contact me with your comments and suggestions!
- Perakakis, P., Ponsati, A., Bernal, I., Sierra, C., Osman, N., Mosquera-de-Arancibia, C., Lorenzo, E. (2017). OPRM: Challenges to Including Open Peer Review in Open Access Repositories. Code4LIb, 35.
- Taylor, M., Perakakis, P., Trachana, V., Gialis, S. (2014). Rankings are the sorcerer’s new apprentice. Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics, 13: pp. 10.
- Perakakis, P., Taylor, M. (2013). Academic self-publishing: a not-so-distant future. Prometheus, 31(3), pp. 257–263.
- Perakakis P., Taylor M., Mazza G.M., Trachana V. (2011). Understanding the role of open peer review and dynamic academic articles. Scientometrics. 88 (2), pp. 669–673.
- Perakakis P., Taylor M., Trachana, V. (2010). The roads to open access. 2010 World Social Science Report. UNESCO Publishing, Paris. ISBN: 978-92-3-104131-0.
- Perakakis P., Taylor M., Mazza G.M., Trachana V. (2010). Natural selection of academic papers. Scientometrics 85 (2), 553–559.
- Taylor M., Perakakis P., Trachana V. (2007). The siege of science. Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics 8(1), 17–40.
- Perakakis, P., Taylor M., Buela-Casal, G., Checa, P. (2005). A Neuro-Fuzzy System to Calculate a Journal Internationality Index. CEDI proceedings. 13–16 September, Granada, Spain.
Invited talks and workshops:
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Academic Publishing. Invited talk at the Psychology department of New York University (NYU). 1 July 2021
- Science Collaboration and Open science. Roundtable panelist at the 1st Crowdfight Symposium on the Science of Collaboration. 15 June 2021. Video
- Hay vida más allá de las editoriales? La revista Psicológica y la nueva generación de comunicación científica. Keynote address at the annual conference of the Sociedad Española de Psicología Experimental. 21 April 2021. Presentation
- La crisis de replicabilidad en Psicología: problemática y propuestas. Programa de doctorado en Psicología: Ciencia abierta, replicabilidad y evidencia científica en la investigación en Psicología. Sevilla, Spain, 11–14 June 2019
- Open Science: What, Why, How? Hot Topic Lecture about open science. Ghent University, Belgium, 19, May, 2017. Slides
- Open Science in an Open World. The 2nd Homo scientificus europaeus Meeting. Barcelona, Spain, 16 May, 2017
- Why True Science is only Open Science. EURODOC2017. Oslo, Norway, 26–27 April 2017. Presentation
- “One damned thing after another” : The journal monopoly, how it came to be, what it means for science and what we can do about it. GATE CNRS. Lyon, France, 10 October 2016
- An Open Peer Review Module for Open Access Repositories. Dublin, Ireland, 13–16 June 2016
- Next generation repositories. COAR annual meeting. Vienna, Austria, 11–14 April 2016. Video
- Presenting the first Open Peer Review Module for Open Access Repositories. CSIC, Madrid, Spain, 27 April 2016
- Open Peer Review workshop. Goettingen University, Germany. 7 June 2016
- Modelos alternativos de validación y evaluación de la producción académica: hacía una evaluación mas eficiente, ética y transparente (Alternative models for the validation and evaluation of academic production: towards a more efficient, ethical and transparent evaluation system). Seminario sobre visibilidad y divulgación de la producción científica. Programa de doctorado en estudios migratorios. University of Granada, 5-6 February 2015
- New systems for scientific evaluation, peer-review and open access. Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), Jardin Botanico, Madrid, Open Access Week, 22 October 2014. Conclusions. Slides
- Open, Portable, Decoupled – How should Peer Review change? SpotOn London, 8 November 2013
- Open Access to Scientific Reviews: Quantifying the opinion of peers. European University Institute, Florence, Open Access Week, 22 October 2013
- Current academic publishing and the LIBRE alternative. CERN Workshop on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (OAI8), University of Geneva, 19-21 June 2013
- Beyond Open Access: facing the real problems. Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich 5 December 2013. Video
- How the impact factor power law came to be and the new alternatives. European Association of Science Editors (EASE). Barcelona, Spain, 14 May 2007
- Putting The Impact Factor In Its Place With A New Approach In Bibliometry. Mediterranean Editors & Translators (METM). Barcelona, Spain, 27-28 October 2006
In the media:
Are University ratings useful? 2014. To Vima
New forms of open peer review will allow academics to separate scholarly evaluation from academic journals. Impact of Social Sciences, London School of Economics.
Open Scientists in the shows of frustrated academics part I: Open-minded scepticism. Euroscientist.
Open-access platform Libre launched. The Times Higher Education, By Paul Jump.
Too complex for the jury? The Times Higher Education, By Paul Jump.
Non-profit organisation ‘Open Scholar C.I.C.’ urges scientists to join their forces against flawed academic publishing model. Journalism.co.uk.